The Sheriff's Office Firearms Section handles the issuance of licenses to sell firearms and licenses to carry firearms.
By state law, the Sheriff has the responsibility to process all applications to carry handguns in Allegheny County and to issue licenses to all those applicants who qualify based on an extensive background investigation done by the Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff also licenses all firearms dealers in the county.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A PENNSYLVANIA LICENSE
TO CARRY A CONCEALED FIREARM
**** DUE TO THE INCREASED SPEED AND EFFICIENCY OF THE PA INSTANT CHECK SYSTEM (PICS), AND THEREFORE THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE POLICE, WE HAVE TRANSITIONED TO A
ONE-STEP PROCESS. WE NO LONGER ACCEPT MAIL OR EMAIL APPLICATIONS
Both NEW and RENEWAL Applicants need ONLY do the following:
1. Appear in-person with a valid and accurate PA Drivers' License or PA Photo ID Card.
2. Completely fill out an application (all information MUST match your ID and two references with complete address and phone numbers are REQUIRED.)
3. Upon approval, payment of $20.00 in the form of CASH ONLY is required.
The aforementioned process should be completed in five to ten minutes and your license will be issued the SAME DAY.
In addition to receiving a "DENIED" status by PICS, your application will NOT be accepted by the Allegheny County Sheriff's Office if you:
1. Have an open case with ANY court (including traffic citations, parking tickets, fish and game, etc)
2. Have a closed case with ANY court with a remaining case balance. This is to include payment arrangements made with any court. Fines and court costs MUST be paid in FULL before your application will be accepted.
3. The ACSO will NOT accept applications for Non-PA Resident Licenses.
If you have questions regarding your application process, please visit our FAQ page.
NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE THIS FORM NOTARIZED