<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="65001"%> ACSO - News Release - 01/09/12

HomeDivisionsFirearmsMost WantedNewsReal EstateVictim Services


PITTSBURGH, PA – Sheriff William P. Mullen announces the apprehension of Edwin Wylie-Biggs, 30 years of age from the City of Clairton.

On July 20, 2011, Wylie-Biggs pled guilty to a slew of charges including, Possession of Firearm Prohibited, Aggravated Assault (3), Firearms Not To Be Carried Without License, Flight To Avoid Apprehension, Receiving Stolen Property, Resisting Arrest, Intended to Possess Controlled Substance by Person Not Registered (2), Possession of Marijuana and Use/Possess of Drug Paraphernalia.  Due to the violation of probation, Wylie-Biggs was transferred to Renewal Center Inc to attend a drug and alcohol group.

On Friday, December 16, 2011, Wylie-Biggs was scheduled to return to the center at 2:45PM from a group meeting, but never showed.  After a few attempts to contact Wylie-Biggs had failed, authorities declared him an absconder and bench warrant was issued for Escape.

This afternoon, sheriff’s deputies received information from an Allegheny County Housing Authority Police Officer that Wylie-Biggs was entering a residence in the 500 block of Third Street in the City of Clairton.  Sheriff’s deputies, along with the Clairton Police Department and Allegheny County Housing Authority Police, quickly traveled to this address and surrounded the home.  As deputies surrounded the house, they observed the fugitive attempt to flee the home through a rear exit.  While making an attempt to escape, Wylie-Biggs was met by sheriff’s deputies who ordered him to show his hands.   Instead, Wylie-Biggs refused and shut the back door stating, “I have a gun and hostages, I will shoot anyone who comes inside.”  Deputies immediately contacted Allegheny County SWAT to assist with the hostage situation.  Prior to the arrival of Allegheny County SWAT, sheriff’s deputies negotiated with Wylie-Biggs, who eventually surrendered himself and was taken into custody without incident.  Both hostages inside the home were found to be unharmed after the standoff concluded.  Wylie-Biggs was transported to the Allegheny County Jail where he will be held without bond.

For any media requesting a photo of Wylie-Biggs, please visit the Sheriff’s Office website at www.sheriffalleghenycounty.com.


JANUARY 9, 2012

CONTACT: Sergeant Douglas Clark, 412-350-4714